The end of the school year in 2021 brings to a close 152 years of Catholic school education at Guardian Angels parish. However, the legacy of the school lives on through the thousands of students who have been formed in the faith and received a strong academic education throughout the years here. We look forward with hope to for the development of a regional Catholic school supported by multiple local Catholic parishes in our area in the future.
Guardian Angels first established a school in 1869 and classes in the current school building began in 1914. Classes for grades 9-12 were added in 1923 and the high school operated until 1973. Continual increases in the cost of providing education, changing demographics and the growth in other educational options for families over the past decades proved to be a challenge too big to overcome.
However, the closure of the parish school does not mean the end of Catholic education for local families. There are many Catholic schools in neighboring communities and the parish is offering scholarship dollars for current Guardian Angels school students to attend a neighboring Catholic school through grade 8. In addition, Catholic education continues in the form of faith formation for all ages in English and Spanish at Guardian Angels parish.
We look forward to new ways that Guardian Angels parish can serve those in our parish community through robust faith formation and other ministries that meet the needs of individuals and families now and into the future. Together, we will continue to live out our parish mission to reach out from the Altar of Christ to educate, serve, and evangelize.